The Blind Watchmaker

by Richard Dawkins | Science |
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 6/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, June 30, 2019
Ever since I read, I think it was The Selfish Gene, I also was curious about The Blind Watchmaker.

First published in 1986, this is a slightly updated version with an extra introduction to the 30th Anniversary Edition.

I've always been interested in evolution and I think that after reading this book I have a better understanding of how life managed to spring into existence and how evolution as a force combines random mutations with the harsh drive of selection.

Unfortunately, while Dawkins is correct that the general backlash (from Creationists and their ilk) has not changed, there are entire chapters devoted to deconstructing theories that, while possibly around in the 1990s, just don't seem at all relevant today. As a result, while the early chapters were fascinating, the latter ones left me a bit bored. It doesn't help that I sometimes felt that Dawkins was trying "too hard". He was essentially preaching to the choir here, but some the repetetiveness of his argumentative loops got on my nerves after a while.

Journal Entry 2 by erinacea at Mitte, Berlin Germany on Thursday, December 19, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (12/16/2019 UTC) at Mitte, Berlin Germany

Left on a table at my office as a free give away and pocketed by one of my colleagues. Enjoy!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You've found a wandering book! Please leave a short (or not so short ;) ) journal entry, so I know that the book's well and safe in your hands. For example, you could write where you found it, how you like it, or what you are planning to do with it.

Thanks a lot!
erinacea

PS: While I enjoy writing these texts in English, there's no obligation for you to do the same. If you like, you could make an entry in German, or whatever your mothertongue may be.
(Einträge auf deutsch sind auch erlaubt. ;) )