Firstlife

by Gena Showalter | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/29/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 29, 2019
I got this hardcover from a local Goodwill thrift shop. It has an interesting premise: the world in which the characters live is literally a "first life", a preamble to future lives. But apparently everyone has to choose between two prospective next-lives, Troika and Myriad, and our heroine's family has already chosen for her - with benefits to be lost if she doesn't agree with their choice. But she's hesitant, not least because she's worried about where the boy she likes will go, and she's been imprisoned in an attempt to force her to choose...

OK, so it's a weird setup, especially when it isn't clear why it's that way, what's wrong with not wanting to choose either option, and why the two next-lives are so viciously warring with each other. [Heaven/Hell comparisons seem apt, and the cover-art shows one dark, creepy-looking realm and a sunlight, golden one.)

I dipped into the book, but didn't find it very involving; the plot seemed really forced, without much in the way of payoff. The book ends on a cliffhanger, with a "continued in the next volume, Lifeblood" note, which did not endear me to it {wry grin}. But perhaps someone else will enjoy it!

Released 1 yr ago (8/12/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 22 Prospect St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 One-Word Title release challenge. ***