Reservoir 13

by Jon McGregor | |
ISBN: 9780008204891 Global Overview for this book
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 6/26/2019
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 26, 2019
Now available for the next reader, but beware SPOILERS in my review!

(25/6/19) I do like McGregor's writing, but this book confused me a lot, I just didn't quite 'get' it. I expected a traditional police-type thriller, but there was no investigation, or rather it was pushed into the background, with no revelation or conclusion. Obviously that is the point, bad and inexplicable things happen, life isn't neat and tidy (ask the McCann's!) However, the language was excellent, the gentle sweep of time and nature passing in the unnamed village and around the reservoirs was hypnotic. We follow the lives of a lot of villagers for 10 years after the disappearance of Rebecca Shaw, "The girl's name was Rebecca, or Becky, or Bex ... the missing girl had not yet been forgotten", and then the story drifts to an end. I admit that I may have missed some vital clues, and the meaning (metaphor?) of 'Reservoir 13'.

I am passing this on for someone else to try, and maybe explain it a little better ;)

Released 4 mos ago (6/27/2019 UTC) at Ty Hir (Long House) bookshelf in Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom

If you find this book, and online review, welcome to book crossing!