Unsung Heroes of the Canadian Army: Incredible Tales of Courage and Daring During World War II

by Cynthia Faryon | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 6/26/2019
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 26, 2019
I bought this book at a charity shop in my hometown of Cambridge, Ontario. I can see from a stamp inside the cover that it has made its way here from a used book store in Parry Sound, ON. Parry Sound is about 300km away from here, so this book has travelled a little already!

I have read and bookcrossed this book in the past, so here are my thoughts from back then:

I've just finished reading this book. I was familiar with one or two of the stories-- only one off the top of my head, I guess-- but most were new to me. I'm glad to have read them because, like the author says in her epilogue, once you've heard their stories you remember the men who told them as well as the men those men are mourning, and I feel that remembrance is so important.

There are so many stories from this fascinating part of our history... awful stories about humanity's inhumanity, but also wonderful stories about people coming together, beating odds, and doing remarkable things for the sake of others. There is no way that one person could possibly learn all of the stories of this type that are out there, but when *no one* learns them, they disappear forever... I'm glad to pass this book on (though I don't know when/where just yet) in order to share these stories with others and preserve a part of our history that we cannot allow to be forgotten, lest we be doomed to repeat it.

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Puslinch Community Centre in Puslinch, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 11, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/11/2019 UTC) at Puslinch Community Centre in Puslinch, Ontario Canada

I left this book at the Cenotaph outside of the Puslinch Community Centre today as part of my own Remembrance activities. I put it in a protective bag and hung it from the iron fence around the memorial.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the 2019 "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" Release Challenge. I actually finished my 52 some time ago, but I've kept on going. Puslinch was Town #63 for me. This book was also released as part of today's Remembrance Day SSM.