Summer of Adventures

by Ann Alma | Teens | This book has not been rated.
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 6/25/2019
Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 25, 2019
I bought this book at a charity shop in my neighbouring city of Kitchener, Ontario. I was looking for some Canadian literature to read/share and I noticed the "Canadian" label on the spine.

I am unfamiliar with this series and this author, but I noticed that the book was once part of the Sault Sainte Marie public library, and I am always interested when I see hints like that about the book's "life" before it came into my hands.

The Soo is about 750 km away from Kitchener, so this book has done a bit of travelling already! I wonder where it will go once I'm finished with it!

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 16, 2019
I'm glad I read this. It's been a nice change from the types of books I have been reading lately.

This book is a little bit dated maybe, but I thought it was a good read overall. There is a fair bit of action and adventure, but it also has a surprising amount of emotional depth. It deals with a wide range of issues-- from the Japanese internment to mental health, from conservation to blended families, from wilderness survival skills to adoption-- many of them coming together under the umbrella of what "family" really is, and the many different ways a family can be composed.

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Rock Glen Conservation Area in Arkona, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 14, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (8/14/2020 UTC) at Rock Glen Conservation Area in Arkona, Ontario Canada

My husband's been of work since March and Monday is his first day back, so we wanted to do something special together on his last weekday at home-- problem is, we don't feel comfortable doing anything right now because of our individual Covid risk factors. Eventually we decided that a conservation area hike on a weekday afternoon would probably be ok. We chose fossil hunting at Rock Glen because it was one of the pre-pandemic things we'd hoped to do this summer (it's featured in a travel book we have). While we were there I left this book on a picnic table in the picnic area near the gatehouse. I chose this book for this location because the adventures kick off when the girl in the story finds something unusual in a creek/river. I thought that might be fun for a place where people come specifically to go looking for things in the creek/river :)

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!