The Monkey Wrench Gang

by Edward Abbey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Worthers of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/24/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Worthers from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 24, 2019
I was given this book in an attempt to turn me into an Edward Abbey fan but if anything I liked this even less than the other book of his (Fire on the Mountain) that I've read. It is undoubtedly well written and Edward Abbey could certainly turn a phrase.
However, all the characters in it are fairly unlikeable. Doc is probably the only one I warmed to at all.
The character of Bonnie was particularly problematic for me. The blurb on the back describes her as a "feminist revolutionary" but that is very misleading. I think she is supposed to be a feminist character as she occasionally says things like "I can make my own decisions!" but that's about the extent of it. She is only in the "gang" because she is in a relationship with another member (an older man, of course, whilst she is devastatingly attractive and young). The only thing I really know about her is she has massive tits. A fact the reader is reminded of with tedious frequency.
The book is also racist in its depiction of Native Americans whom all the protagonists have fairly odious opinions about. These same characters who are supposed to be environmental activists express their love for nature by rampaging around the landscape in trucks littering whenever they please.
All in all, I wasn't a fan! I have given it 5/10 though only because I recognise that it's well written prose with superb imagery.

Released 3 mos ago (6/25/2019 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Releasing at York Book Crossing meet-up at Brigantes.