The Union Street Bakery

by Mary Ellen Taylor | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 6/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, June 22, 2019
This is a duplicate copy of a book I read not too long ago. It's a quick and easy read, and I'm hoping to find a copy of the sequel (Sweet Expectations) to read next.

Here are my comments on the earlier copy:
I really liked this book, including the Alexandria, VA setting. The way the history of Daisy’s birth family is presented was interesting, and I enjoyed learning, along with her, who she is. As an adopted child, Daisy always felt a bit of an outlier, and her relationship with her sisters was nicely portrayed. I also liked reading about the difficulties of making the bakery turn a profit: the extreme organization required for all the paperwork and bill-paying; the pressure to try new things and eliminate some items that are not producing enough revenue.

Amazon:
Suddenly without a job or a boyfriend, Daisy now lives in the attic above her family’s store, the Union Street Bakery, while she learns the business. It doesn’t help that, as the only adopted daughter, her relationship with her sisters has never been easy.

When an elderly customer dies, Daisy is surprised to inherit a journal from the 1850s, written by a slave girl named Susie. As she reads, Daisy learns more about her family—and her own heritage—than she ever dreamed. Haunted by dreams of the young Susie, who beckons Daisy to “find her,” she is compelled to explore the past more deeply.

What she finds are the answers she has longed for her entire life.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, June 22, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (6/22/2019 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

For the Boston Bookcrossing meetup this afternoon. Hope it finds a new reader!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by edithdoll at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, June 24, 2019
Orphan at July 2019/Meet-up
Left 6/24/19 Little Free Library Downtown Crossing, in front of Walgreen's.