Underground Time

by Delphine de Vigan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9781608197125 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 6/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, June 22, 2019
I read this in the original French (Les Heures Souterraines) earlier this year, and loved it. I'd read and enjoyed another book by this author, No and Me, which was geared towards a slightly younger audience, but this one was very powerful.

It can be so distressing to see how people sometimes treat their work colleagues or subordinates. It's this toxic atmosphere found all too often in some companies that makes me thankful to be out of that milieu. Of course, the circumstances in this novel are rather extreme...

One can so easily be all alone in the midst of other people. This novel provides lots of food for thought. I would have preferred a different ending, though!

Recommended!

Amazon:
Every day, Mathilde takes the Metro to her job at a large multinational, where she has felt miserable and isolated ever since getting on the wrong side of her bullying boss. Every day, Thibault, a paramedic, drives where his dispatcher directs him, fighting traffic to attend to disasters. For many of the people he rushes to treat, he represents the only human connection in their day. Mathilde and Thibault are just two figures being pushed and shoved in a lonesome, crowded city. But what might happen if these two souls, traveling their separate paths, could meet?

Delphine de Vigan tells this story of urban isolation with poetic precision and resilient humor, in the much lauded follow-up to her bestselling No and Me.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, June 22, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/22/2019 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

For this afternoon's Boston Bookcrossing meetup. Hope it finds a new reader!

Released for 2019 Allergic to A Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by haahaahaa98 at Little Free Library, 252 Common St in Belmont, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, June 22, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/22/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 252 Common St in Belmont, Massachusetts USA

Released to Little Free Library on Common Street. Enjoy! And if you find this, please make a journal entry!