Radio Girls

by Sarah-Jane Stratford | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9780749020682 Global Overview for this book
Registered by sherdnerdess of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by sherdnerdess from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 22, 2019
1926, the early days of BBC -the nation listens, a (fictional) Canadian woman finds her voice in a changing country under a (real) pioneer of talk radio, Hilda Matheson OBE.

Released 1 yr ago (6/25/2019 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

I should have finished it in time for the meet-up for Author-S month.

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelticwing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Removing from North to West Yorkshire. Looks interesting, although I did at first think it was non-fiction.

Journal Entry 4 by MrsDeltic at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 26, 2020
Borrowed it from Deltic before he read it, excellent book very readable believable characters and learnt a lot about the BBC. Interesting authors notes about the real life person

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 26, 2020
MrsDeltic was enjoying this book so much that I had to grab it as soon as she finally put it down. The book is a nicely written historical novel about the early days of the BBC, and particularly the friction between Hilda Matheson Head of Talks and the Director General, John Reith told through the fictional character Maisie Musgrave. A couple of minor criticisms in that South Yorkshire was mentioned about 50 years before it came into existence and I that one or two phrases used were a bit too modern, but I would still give it 9 out of 10.

The book made me want to look more deeply into the real people within, particularly Hilda.