The Golden Hour

by Beatriz Williams | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 006291233X Global Overview for this book
Registered by dvg of Toms River, New Jersey USA on 6/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by dvg from Toms River, New Jersey USA on Thursday, June 20, 2019
Received this Advanced Reader's Edition in exchange for an honest review. Looking forward to the read which I am starting now.

The New York Times bestselling author of The Summer Wives and A Certain Age creates a dazzling epic of World War II-era Nassau—a hotbed of spies, traitors, and the most infamous couple of the age, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

The Bahamas, 1941. Newly-widowed Leonora “Lulu” Randolph arrives in the Bahamas to investigate the Governor and his wife for a New York society magazine. After all, American readers have an insatiable appetite for news of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, that glamorous couple whose love affair nearly brought the British monarchy to its knees five years earlier. What more intriguing backdrop for their romance than a wartime Caribbean paradise, a colonial playground for kingpins of ill-gotten empires?

Or so Lulu imagines. But as she infiltrates the Duke and Duchess’s social circle, and the powerful cabal that controls the islands’ political and financial affairs, she uncovers evidence that beneath the glister of Wallis and Edward’s marriage lies an ugly—and even treasonous—reality. In fact, Windsor-era Nassau seethes with spies, financial swindles, and racial tension, and in the middle of it all stands Benedict Thorpe: a scientist of tremendous charm and murky national loyalties. Inevitably, the willful and wounded Lulu falls in love.

Then Nassau’s wealthiest man is murdered in one of the most notorious cases of the century, and the resulting coverup reeks of royal privilege. Benedict Thorpe disappears without a trace, and Lulu embarks on a journey to London and beyond to unpick Thorpe’s complicated family history: a fateful love affair, a wartime tragedy, and a mother from whom all joy is stolen.

The stories of two unforgettable women thread together in this extraordinary epic of espionage, sacrifice, human love, and human courage, set against a shocking true crime . . . and the rise and fall of a legendary royal couple.

Journal Entry 2 by dvg at Toms River, New Jersey USA on Friday, July 05, 2019
Beatriz Williams has made me love historical fiction. She can tell a story like no one else. This is the story of Elfriede, Lulu, family, love and war. I must admit that it took me a while to get into the story, I think it was well over fifty pages before I was finding myself trying to read a chapter whenever I could. Once you get past the initial layering of stories being laid out, you will not want to put this story down. It was an absolute amazing read.

I do not want to give away plot points. All I will say is Elefriede is in a clinic because of a darkness that overtook her after giving birth to her son. We now know this is post-partum depression but they didn’t have a name for it in this timeline. Lulu is situated in Nassau, Bahamas and endears herself to the Duchess of Windsor. The story bounces between the lives and timelines of these two women and I could not wait to see how they interwine.

I love when an author writes so beautifully that I feel like an observer inside the story. Beatriz Williams does this and does it well.

Thank you William Morrow|HarperCollins and Goodreads for the chance to read this ARC and share my honest opinion. If you enjoy historical fiction, you will love this read.

Journal Entry 3 by dvg at Wishlist RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 12, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (7/12/2019 UTC) at Wishlist RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Now traveling to NancyNova as a Wishlist RABCK. Enjoy!
Happy Reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 16, 2019
It's here!

Adding - when I checked to see who was wishing for it, my name popped up...ooops - it's off my wishlist now. Putting it away on the ABC TBR shelf, where it's likely to be read sooner....maybe for the 666 challenge