The Road to Little Dribbling

by Bill Bryson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 17, 2019
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library in Lebanon NH while dropping off some books of my own, and was glad of another release copy.

This is another enjoyable - if sometimes peevish - travel-journal/memoir, with Bryson choosing to revisit some of the places from Notes on a Small Island while touching the farthest-apart points in Great Britain and picking up some new spots along the way. While some of his encounters with strangers, shop help, etc. seem to show him as even more curmudgeonly than in days of yore, he does mention that many of his sharper retorts only occur in the carefully-secluded part of his mind.

He mixes historical facts, entertaining anecdotes, and tips about the practicalities of long cross-country walks in the UK with personal reminiscences and occasional political commentary. I was pleased to see some references to favorite people/places of mine - the Stevenson family's lighthouses, for one - and I found several other topics that I wanted to read more about. Not to mention the places I'd love to visit if I ever get back to the UK; the eclectic museum at Gilbert White's House is one, but there are many more. I was especially pleased when Bryson stumbled across the Lost Gardens of Heligan, which he'd never heard of before, and which fascinated him as much as reading about it fascinated me.

Not all of his stops were entrancing, of course. Some places were suffering serious decline, and in many cases he breezed into town just as everything interesting was closing. [Been there, done that, now I check the hours before setting out!] But there were wonderful spots as well, from well-known landmarks (I was pleased to see that he enjoyed Avebury and Stonehenge) to pocket parks tucked away next to major highway interchanges and airports. And sometimes a simple walk up a hill or along the shore would provide one of those stunningly beautiful moments that make even Bryson-the-snarker wax poetic.

[There's a TV Tropes page on Bryson and his work.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Lajoie Field in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/19/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Lajoie Field in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]