Spoon River Anthology

by Edgar Lee Masters | Poetry |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 17, 2019
I got this slightly-battered paperback at the local library's ongoing book sale. I was delighted to have another release copy of this book.

I've loved Masters' intricately entwined poem/epitaph cycle about the history of a small Midwestern town ever since I first read it. If you haven't read the Spoon River Anthology before, give it a try; each epitaph can stand alone, but as you read on you'll find that many of them refer to events described in others, and together they paint some fascinating - and often contradictory - pictures. It's a novel, it's a collection of poems, it's a mystery, it's a game {wry grin}! It's also haunting, funny, cruel, and hopeful by turns. Recommended! (There's a stage adaptation that I'd love to see some time.)

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 1 mo ago (6/17/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Colburn Park in Lebanon, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library (it's at the northwest corner of the park) on this beautiful day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]