Erebus

by Michael Palin | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 184794812X Global Overview for this book
Registered by kinedi of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 5/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, May 30, 2019
Michael Palin – Monty Python star and television globetrotter – brings the remarkable Erebus back to life, following it from its launch in 1826 to the epic voyages of discovery that led to glory in the Antarctic and to ultimate catastrophe in the Arctic.

The ship was filled with fascinating people: the dashing and popular James Clark Ross, who charted much of the ‘Great Southern Barrier’; the troubled John Franklin, whose chequered career culminated in the Erebus's final, disastrous expedition; and the eager Joseph Dalton Hooker, a brilliant naturalist – when he wasn't shooting the local wildlife dead.

Vividly recounting the experiences of the men who first set foot on Antarctica’s Victoria Land, and those who, just a few years later, froze to death one by one in the Arctic ice, beyond the reach of desperate rescue missions, Erebus is a wonderfully evocative account of a truly extraordinary adventure, brought to life by a master explorer and storyteller.

Journal Entry 2 by kinedi at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, July 12, 2019
A totally fascinating read and Michael Palin is such a brilliant storyteller. He really made the men on board of Erebus and Terror came alive and I found myself googleing a lot while I was reading as I found it fascinating to see some of the Youtube videos and sonar images of Erebus when she was found in 2014.