The Erratics

by Vicky Laveau Harvie | Nonfiction |
Registered by jeniwren of Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on 5/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by jeniwren from Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 30, 2019
Dark, sharp, blackly funny and powerful, this is memoir, wielded as weapon. Telling the story of a splintered family, a mother who is unlike any other, and her daughters who have no choice but to come to the rescue, The Erratics has the tightly compressed energy of an explosive device. This is quite simply an outstanding piece of writing.

We've been disowned and disinherited: there's not changing it, I say. When something bad happens to them, we'll know soon enough and we'll deal with it together. I don't realise it at the time, but when I say that, I imply I care. I imply there may be something to be salvaged. I misspeak. But I'm flying out anyway. Blood calls to blood; what can I tell you.

This is a memoir about a dysfunctional family, about a mother and her daughters. But make no mistake. This is like no mother-daughter relationship you know.

When Vicki Laveau-Harvie's elderly mother is hospitalised unexpectedly, Vicki and her sister travel to their parents' isolated ranch home in Alberta, Canada, to help their father. Estranged from their parents for many years, Vicki and her sister are horrified by what they discover on their arrival. For years, Vicki's mother has camouflaged her manic delusions and savage unpredictability, and over the decades she has managed to shut herself and her husband away from the outside world, systematically starving him and making him a virtual prisoner in his own home. Vicki and her sister have a lot to do, in very little time, to save their father. And at every step they have to contend with their mother, whose favourite phrase during their childhood was: 'I'll get you and you won't even know I'm doing it.'

A ferocious, sharp, darkly funny and wholly compelling memoir of families, the pain they can inflict and the legacy they leave, The Erratics has the tightly coiled, compressed energy of an explosive device - it will take your breath away.

Winner of the Finch Memoir Prize in 2018, and longlisted for the Stella Awards in 2019.

Journal Entry 2 by jeniwren at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 30, 2019
A worthy winner of The Stella Prize 2019. A very compelling memoir about the estranged parents of the author and her sister over many years. The author uses a very detached tone in her writing which shows she maintains an emotional distance to the trauma. On travelling back to their parents home after their mother is hospitalised they discover their father has suffered and has been locked up in his own home.

Journal Entry 3 by jeniwren at Boise, Idaho USA on Thursday, May 30, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/30/2019 UTC) at Boise, Idaho USA

Travelling to USA as a wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Thank you jeniwren for this Wishlist Tag.
Book arrived safely here in Boise Idaho - USA