Round Ireland with a Fridge

Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/27/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, May 27, 2019
I first read this book via a BookCrossing bookbox, and enjoyed it very much, so I was pleased to find another release copy at a local thrift shop. As per the title, it's about the author's attempt to travel around Ireland with a refrigerator - yes, it was a bet {wry grin}.

While I was surprised at the radio station's influence on his trip at first, I found that it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story, and while it undoubtedly changed the way things went, it seems likely that even if he hadn't sought any publicity, somebody would have picked up his story fairly soon and put him on the news anyway, so I don't mind that aspect. [I did find it a wee bit worrisome that he was drinking so much - did I imagine it or did he achieve blackout status at times? He must have, as he had apparently forgotten the bet that started it all until he saw The Note. I like a good pub-crawl as much as anyone, but I prefer not to lose consciousness or memory!]

The things I enjoyed most about the story: mainly, the author's style. He rattles along, telling anecdotes and making snarky remarks in a way that tickled me very much - I lost track of the snickering-out-loud that this book caused. [His style reminded me of that of Russel Taylor, whose book The Looniness of the Long Distance Runner amused me very much. And when Hawks said: "Life is full of mysteries, doubts and unfathomables but if we can be certain of one thing in this world then it is this: Running twenty-six miles is no fun," I immediately thought of Taylor's book.]

In some places, the publicity behind Hawks' trip actually compounded the hilarity, at least for me; his attempts to get to Tory Island ratcheted up from phone calls to all the local fishermen to an all-out attempt to convince the Powers That Be to send a military helicopter for the purpose. [Like many grandiose plans this was destined to fail, but he did get to the island eventually.]

Later on, when enthusiastic locals insisted that he take the fridge surfing - well, I had to put the book down for a while until I stopped laughing. At first I feared that the photos of the surfing fridge had been lost (as some of Hawks' earlier photos apparently were when he pressed the wrong buttons on his camera!); I couldn't find one among the pictures inside the book. But I found it on the back cover, along with a shot of the nuns signing the fridge. How can you not love a book about which you can say "surfing fridge" and "nuns signing the fridge"?

The chapter about his stay at a hostel was also very amusing - poor guy had no clue what he was getting into, not that this ever seems to stop him. And later on, his various spells of can't-get-a-ride and got-a-ride-but-now-we're-lost tickled me, too. And I got a huge kick out of his less-than-spectacular arrival at the end of his trip - a bit predictable after the trouble he went to with his dreams of glory, but fun nonetheless.

I guess I just like his style!

Released 1 yr ago (5/29/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Revive Recovery Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library outside the Revive Recovery Center on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]