Water for Elephants

by Sara Gruen | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Potok-too of -- Somewhere in Hertfordshire , Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 5/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by Potok-too from -- Somewhere in Hertfordshire , Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 22, 2019
Picked this up on the share shelves at Beach Hotel Elias in Cyprus... read it by the pool... and now ready to return it again!

I saw hype about the film a few years back but hadn’t seen it nor read the book until now. I wasn’t convinced that Sara Gruen really captured a male voice in the narration, but I enjoyed reading the postscript about the varied historical sources behind some of the episodes in this novel: Topsy, Old Mom, Jamaica ginger paralysis, a deceased four-hundred-pound strong lady displayed in a parade, etc. Wow.

Journal Entry 2 by Potok-too at Elias Beach Hotel in Limassol, Limassol Cyprus on Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/22/2019 UTC) at Elias Beach Hotel in Limassol, Limassol Cyprus

I’ve left this in the Zodiac cocktail lounge, just beyond the hotel lobby. There’s a large bookcase there, overflowing with books to swap. (Most are in English, but downstairs, there are a few books in other languages (Finnish and Swedish, at least) near the spa entrance.)