Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1

by Natalie Riess | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 1620103133 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 5/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, May 17, 2019
TBR.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 18, 2019
Super enjoyable and adorable! I only wish that I had realized that it wasn't really a complete story without Volume 2. I have already ordered Volume 2, so that tells you something about how much I enjoyed this!

Released 6 mos ago (5/24/2019 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

I'm sending this out as a RABCK to another BookCrosser who I thought might enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2019
The books arrived safely on this rainy day - many thanks! This one looks very cute, and I'm glad you included the second volume as well!

Later: I really loved this! Not just because I'm a fan of cooking shows, though that helps, but for the generally cheerful (with cartoon-scary bits) tone of the story. The concept's simple: young Peony gets taken into space to be a contestant on "Space Battle Lunchtime," where she faces not only the usual cooking-contest difficulties but also the challenges of alien ingredients and a wildly unfamiliar set of appliances. But a friendly green-skinned cameraman gives her a little help getting started, and she manages to impress the judges and survive the first rounds of competition. (We get hints that something suspicious happened to the competitor who she's replacing; could it have to do with rival show "Cannibal Coliseum," where the goal is to prepare dishes *from* your competitors?)

I liked the growing friendship/flirtation between Peony and tough-girl-alien Neptunia - but this volume ends on a cliffhanger, with Peony kidnapped by a devious competitor while Neptunia waits for her at their rendezvous...

Released 5 mos ago (6/30/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Burgess Farm Rd in Dracut, Massachusetts USA

I left this book and its companion in this charming Little Free Library (hosted by BookCrosser FarmGirl_40); hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Pride LGBTQ release challenge, for its gentle earth-girl/space-girl flirtation. ***

*** Released for the 2019 Science Fiction release challenge. ***