Mysticism for Beginners: Poems

by Adam Zagajewski | Poetry |
Registered by wingSpatialwing of Moneta, Virginia USA on 5/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Moneta, Virginia USA on Monday, May 20, 2019
Chosen from the Little Free Library #36793 - Crystal City Water Park in Arlington, VA.

Goodreads Description:
Powerful New work by a modern master.

You must listen, listen, listen.
Tired springs breathe under water.
At four in the morning the last, lonely bolt of lightning
scribbles something quickly in the sky.
It says "No." Or "Never.
"Or "Take courage, the fire's not dead."
-from "The Last Storm"

Mysticism for Beginners is the third and most beautiful of Adam Zagajewski's collections to appear in English. The poems are about nature, history, the life of cities, the transformations of art, the spiritual essence of everyday life. Their remarkable staying power derives from the gentle meditative authority of Zagajewski's voice, here expertly translated into English by Clare Cavanagh. Zagajewski's committed, compassionate poems offer access to the mysteries at the heart of experience.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (9/4/2019 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

I read a few but couldn't get into them. I hope the next reader will find them more enjoyable.

💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞

Going to the winner of Spatial's August 2019 offer in
greenbadger's one book a month thread!

💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 💞

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 9, 2019
Received safely. Thanks for the bonus book! I'll definitely give it a try.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 19, 2021
I didn't really know what to expect from this collection, but I was blown away! I found the poetry very evocative and the imagery imaginative and fresh. I have to give some of the credit for that to the translator, Clare Cavanagh. Not every poem resonated with me, but the vast majority of them did. Zagajewski was very skilled at conjuring a mood, I felt. I would definitely read more of his work.

Thank you so much, Spatial, for sharing this with me! One of the many reasons that I love BookCrossing is because it introduces me to books that I never would have been likely to come across otherwise, and that is certainly true of this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingReallyBookishwing at RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 18, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (9/18/2021 UTC) at RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

I'm sending a box of surprise RABCKs that I thought you might enjoy. As always, no pressure to read them if they are not for you... do as you please with them! I'm including this one because you are one of the few BookCrossers I know of who has any interest at all in poetry.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 25, 2021
The box of books arrived safely today - a lovely surprise; many thanks! This poetry collection looks intriguing!