Mike's Place

by Jack Baxter, Joshua Faudem, Koren Shadmi | Graphic Novels | This book has not been rated.
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 6/13/2019
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, June 13, 2019
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Subtitle: A True Story of Love, Blues, and Terror in Tel Aviv
Text by Jack Baxter & Joshua Faudem; art by Koren Shadmi.

Hardcover with dust jacket from the Friends of the Library.

Based on the actual events: independent filmmaker Jack is working on a documentary about Mike's Place, a bar in Tel Aviv, when it is hit by a terrorist attack. This is that story.

The book's website includes a trailer for the film - not a film of the book, but the film being made in the book.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 20, 2019

Released 11 mos ago (10/19/2019 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Saturday, October 19, 2019: headed out in nimrodiel's manga/graphic novel box. Here's the bookbox journal.

USPS tracking 9549 0104 3304 9292 6490 54
ETA 11/8/19

Released for Secretariat's 2019 NJABBIC challenge (week 42: figures facing away from the reader).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book! Won't you make a journal entry so the previous readers know that it's safe with you?

This is now your book, for you to do with as you please: keep it as long as you wish, pass it to a friend, or maybe even leave it where someone else can find it!

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, November 19, 2019
This came back in my manga and graphic novel book box. I have been watching the journal entries on the coloring book box journal and wondering what will end up back with me. There was quite a lot of variety in the box at the end and I am happy to see many books that I have not read before.

Journal Entry 4 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2020
This is the type of graphic novel that I adore. It tells a true story of the bombing of Mike's Place in Tel Aviv in 2003. This is a significant event, and I remember some coverage of it on the news when it occurred. Written by the film producer of Blues on the Beach it is part memorial, part informative historical documentation, and part memoir. I really felt like I was there as Jack became friends with the people in the Mike's Place family as he filmed them up to and through the bombing. I want to track down the film they were making when this happened.

Released 7 mos ago (2/21/2020 UTC) at Little free library #44604 - Custer and Linden Place in Evanston, Illinois USA

Left in the little free library.