Farewell to Manzanar

by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston | Teens | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingSpatialwing of Arlington, Virginia USA on 5/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Arlington, Virginia USA on Tuesday, May 07, 2019
Picked up from the LFL #53946 on S. Adams St. at the Avalon at Arlington Square apartments.

Description:
Jeanne Wakatsuki was seven years old in 1942 when her family was uprooted from their home and sent to live at Manzanar internment camp--with 10,000 other Japanese Americans. Along with searchlight towers and armed guards, Manzanar ludicrously featured cheerleaders, Boy Scouts, sock hops, baton twirling lessons and a dance band called the Jive Bombers who would play any popular song except the nation's #1 hit: "Don't Fence Me In."

Farewell to Manzanar is the true story of one spirited Japanese-American family's attempt to survive the indignities of forced detention . . . and of a native-born American child who discovered what it was like to grow up behind barbed wire in the United States.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 16, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/16/2019 UTC) at Arlington, Virginia USA

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Releasing at the BCinDC meeting.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, June 17, 2019
This book came home from today's BC-in-DC meeting to release.

I visited the site of the Manzanar internment camp with my family during a trip to California several years ago. This piece of American history is preserved as a National Historic Site and is well worth visiting, although it is extremely isolated, and requires a significant commitment to get to. I'm looking forward to this memoir of someone who actually was held at this camp during WWII.

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 30, 2019
I'm not sure when I learned about the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII, but it is a piece of American history that I believe is important to explore and remember. When I visited California with my family several years ago, we made the extra effort to visit Manzanar, which is now a National Historic Site, administered by the National Park Service. Manzanar is seriously remote, and requires a commitment to visit, but I would argue that it is well worth the effort.

All this background is to explain why I grabbed this book when I saw it, and why it quickly floated to the top of my TBR mountain range. I've read fiction related to the internment of the Japanese-Americans, but I'd never seen a memoir. Jeanne Wakatsuki was only seven years old when her family was confined to Manzanar, which colors her recollections of that time in many ways. But her story helps bring the reality of life in the internment camp to light. She also helps set the stage with her family's story before the war, and details about the fallout of the internment on her life after the war.

It is too bad that there aren't more memoirs about this dark chapter in American history. This one helps show the human consequences of such acts of inhumanity. I recommend anyone who want to learn about this history and how it might be relevant to this current moment in history.

Released 2 wks ago (6/30/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library #29843 - Erin's Legacy (Clermont Woods) in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Putting in the Little Free Library to share with the readers in the neighborhood.