Endangered Species

by Nevada Barr | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 5/15/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Arrived in the last few days from a paperbackswap member.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Saturday, June 22, 2019
Cumberland Island. Off the Georgia coast, sprinkled with decaying mansions and home to sea turtle eggs in the right season. Anna Pigeon is on a fire presuppression crew, which means she keeps an eye out for fires. Patrols the island regularly.

It is on one of these patrols that Anna and her partner see smoke. It's a small plane, downed, containing the pilot and the chief ranger. The two rush to the rescue but it's too late for the two men.

It isn't long before sabotage is discovered. Somebody wanted that plane to go down. Was it to stop the pilot from discovering marijuana fields? Was it to cover up some financial fiddling? Is there a more personal reason? Anyone on the island had access to the plane, so there is no shortage of suspects.

With and without official sanction, Anna is on the case. She is a law enforcement officer, but she frequently goes out on her own, against ranger practice and rules. She puts herself in precarious predicaments and even then doesn't have the whole answer.

As always, I enjoy the introduction to National parks I have not seen, and Barr's visual descriptions. I like Anna's character: determined, compassionate, thoughtful, and a bit reckless. I like that she cares about animals. I like the convoluted plots that twist one into knots as one red herring after another surfaces.

Well plotted, with good characters and great scenic value.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at Starbucks @ W. Warm Springs & Julia St. in Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (6/25/2019 UTC) at Starbucks @ W. Warm Springs & Julia St. in Henderson, Nevada USA

In the book box inside.