They Called Us Enemy

vom Wedding in die Welt
by George Takei | Graphic Novels |
Registered by winginkenwing of Wedding, Berlin Germany on 6/17/2023
Journal Entry 1 by winginkenwing from Wedding, Berlin Germany on Saturday, June 17, 2023
A powerful reminder of a history that is all too timely today.

Journal Entry 2 by winginkenwing at Arnotdale House OBCZ in Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, June 17, 2023

Released 1 yr ago (6/17/2023 UTC) at Arnotdale House OBCZ in Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom

At the book buffet!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, July 10, 2023
So excited to find this on the book buffet, as I've been wanting to read it! Thank you so much for sharing.

ETA: I realized that in the chaos of gathering and reading wishlist books to take to the BookCrossing convention, I totally forgot to make a journal entry after reading this book. So here's my after thought:

I have read a few books - adult, children, manga - about Japanese American internment camps during WWII. The value of Takei's book lies in how the story continues after the war. People did not just go back to their lives as a nightmare over. He talks of the long rippling effects, and how he had been lucky enough to use his celebrity status to fight for equality, to hopefully bring humankind to where they have not gone before.

There's an interesting video with a more in depth view of Takei's life, with many photos and scenes duplicated in the comic.

Journal Entry 4 by wingarvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Friday, May 3, 2024
A wishlist book! What a treat! Thank you so much, Azuki.
I believe this book will make me feel a bit emotional. It reminds me of "When the Emperor was Divine", by Julie Otsuka, and also an episode of segregation of my own experience.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingarvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Friday, June 21, 2024
I didn't enjoy this book as much as expected. I tend to get annoyed with movies and books that follow that track of "only in our great country was this possible". I think it's a dangerous principle that perpetuates the thought that "we're so great that nothing can make us wrong". I know that the author's intention was quite the opposite, but saying that "only in the US was it possible to give a lecture in the same house that belonged to the man who incarcerated my family", in my opinion, shows a complete lack of awareness of other cultures.
I'm usually not this critical about the books I read, and I refrain myself from being controversial. But sometimes it just overflows.
That being said, this graphic novel brings to surface a very important (and long) episode in the History of the USA. I was shocked when I first heard of it through Julie Otsuka's book "When the Emperor was Divine". It makes us think of how much we still have to learn about human behavior, politics and propaganda.
The art work was also not the most appealing to me.

Anyway, I'm so grateful to Azuki for the chance to read this wishlist book.