Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art

by Jan Greenberg | Poetry |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 5/4/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 04, 2019
Reading now.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, May 05, 2019
I thought this was a great concept for a book. It's a collection of poems inspired by twentieth-century works of art. Unfortunately, many of the poems did not really resonate for me. My favorites were "The Peacock," "A Word," and "River Song."

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 11, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (8/12/2019 UTC) at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending in a box of RABCKs. I thought you might enjoy it! As always, though, feel free to release unread if it is not your thing. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 16, 2019
The RABCK box arrived safely today; many thanks! I like the idea of poems themed on works of art; looks like an eclectic mix!

Later: Overall I think I enjoyed the artwork more than the poetry, though there were some really lovely poems that took unexpected inspiration from their respective works of art. I liked Jane Yolen's contribution, themed on "American Gothic", which began: "Do not dwell on the fork, the brooch at the throat, the gothic angel wing of window pointing toward a well-tended heaven..."

Perhaps my favorite entry here was Kristine O'Connell George's poem inspired by Niki Smith's "Fluttering Eyes"; it's "Pantoum for These Eyes", and uses the strongly-formal styling of a pantoum to focus in on the image of four different pairs of eyes sketched in smudgy charcoals.

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Town Common, Common & Main Sts. in Pelham, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, February 02, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (2/2/2020 UTC) at Town Common, Common & Main Sts. in Pelham, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench in the little gazebo on the common; hope someone enjoys it! (I saw some folks exploring the area and guessed they might be geocachers out to bag a Palindrome Day cache; perhaps one of them will find the book!)

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2020 Head Shoulders Knees Toes release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2020 Valentine challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2020 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 6 by justspecimens at Pelham, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 18, 2020
I was wandering solo in Pelham just to take pics of the buildings and park when I found this book and one other in the gazebo, where it has apparently been for several months. It added a nice surprise to my day. I've enjoyed reading the poems and studying their relation to the artwork. I just released it in Candia NH.

Journal Entry 7 by justspecimens at Smyth Library Gazebo in Candia, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 20, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (7/18/2020 UTC) at Smyth Library Gazebo in Candia, New Hampshire USA

Left in the gazebo next to the town pond

Journal Entry 8 by Flychippy at Candia, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2020
Found on a warm Monday morning on a stroll with my dogs. I have read a few poems but still have a number of them to go!