A Horse Walks into a Bar

by David Grossman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 4/30/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, April 30, 2019
I went to the Friends of the Library book store in Rockville, Maryland, USA, to make a donation of books today. I bought this book before leaving the store! :D

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 18, 2020
-----------------------------------------
It's hard to know what to say about this novel. It was excruciating to read and left me drained in the end. I followed a friend's advice to read this novel in its entirety and not think about bailing whether or not I wanted to. That's a strange way for someone to recommend a book, isn't it?

The story is of a nightclub comedian who does stand-up comedy in various cities in Israel. This evening he is in Netanya, a place I visited while in Israel. The comedy our protagonist Dovaleh presents gets more and more subdued and personal. Some of the audience can tolerate what is happening on stage and others cannot. What was of most interest to me was one spectator whom Dovaleh invited to his show who had been a friend, albeit not a good one, in his youth.

The story is of psychological pain and family relationships as well as kid-to-kid cruelty. I'm not sure I could recommend this book to a wide readership, but the writing is amazing so I'd direct this book to be read by anyone who can appreciate the power of language. The last third of the book had me mesmerized. I read it non-stop into the night.

I've read other works by David Grossman, bailed on one, and greatly appreciated two others. My thoughts now are that I should go back and try one more time to read the book of his on which I bailed in the past. Then I need to read more of his works. I bet they're equally amazing.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, July 13, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (7/13/2020 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book to BookCrosser Imagine0307 who will keep it traveling. :D

------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by imagine0307 at Bethesda, Maryland USA on Tuesday, July 14, 2020
Controlled release from Squeaky Chu :)

Journal Entry 5 by imagine0307 at Little Free Library #48181 in Bethesda, Maryland USA on Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (7/14/2020 UTC) at Little Free Library #48181 in Bethesda, Maryland USA

Enjoy!