Dracula

Where's this book been?
by Bram Stoker | Horror |
ISBN: 9780141196886 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/8/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 08, 2019
I got this book at a local Goodwill thrift shop, for another release copy. It's a handsome deluxe-edition hardcover with lovely ornamentation on the cover.

I always enjoy going back to the original text of "Dracula," although since Drac has become an icon, inspiring entire genres of books and films (plus a role-playing game or two - and don't forget the breakfast cereal), it's sometimes difficult to sort out the "real" fictional Dracula from the derived pop-culture fictional Dracula, if you follow me. Anyway, I like the way the story unfolds via the letters and journals of several of the participants, offering different views of the increasingly disturbing events that are taking place. The stark settings, the contrast between ancient evil and modern [for the publication date, anyway] science, the forging of the alliance of Lucy's bereaved lovers, the climactic chase sequence - it's all marvelous!

Of the many stage and screen adaptations, my favorite is the 1931 film, though I admit it hasn't aged as well as other classics. And what was with that armadillo crawling around in a European crypt??? The Gorey-styled stage version starring Frank Langella was marvelous - I got to see that on Broadway - but it, too, departed from the original a good deal. Ah, well, perhaps someone will do an adaptation that's both faithful to the novel and a good movie - someday...

[For those who enjoy audiobooks, there's a wonderful unabridged-audio version of Dracula read by Robert Whitfield (a pseudonym of Simon Vance); recommended! And check out the extensive TV Tropes page.]

Released 1 yr ago (8/12/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Revive Recovery Center in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library in front of the Revive center on Main Street; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 One-Word Title release challenge. ***