The Bean Trees

by Barbara Kingsolver | Women's Fiction |
Registered by biba89 of Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on 4/10/2004
Journal Entry 1 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, April 10, 2004
Taylor stumbles upon a Cherokee baby girl and decides to take care of her.
I love Taylor and I love Turtle. You know, how this can happen that a writer can make you love her characters so much that you feel sorry you cannot meet them? Well, this is such a book.This second copy I picked up at Fong's bookstore the Booklet, at our meetup! One of my all-time favourite books, which I immediately started re-reading, for the fourth or the fifth time. I have lost count.

Journal Entry 2 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, August 12, 2004
Since my first copy is lost, this one is my PC. It goes to bookcrosser as an RABCK and will then be made into a ring, to end up with me again so I canreread it for the umpteenth time.

Released on Friday, August 13, 2004 at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, Controlled Release Controlled Releases.

via Powerhouse to Bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 4 by BookCrosser from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, August 20, 2004
To my surprise and delight, I found the book in my letterbox when I came home from a holiday in England. Thank you so much biba!

Journal Entry 5 by BookCrosser from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, August 22, 2004
This is one of those books that gripped me from the first page. I did not want to stop reading and read it in one go. Highly recommended.

'everything you ever get is really just on loan' (page 231)

Journal Entry 6 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 23, 2004
This copy will travel as a bookring. Bookcrosser, would you be so kind as to send it on its way?
Here's the list:
Riemke
olifant
Suzy26
jgralike
MaaikeB
muizz
janna2 (een beetje achteraan)
Maupi
Dutch-flybaby
Wandering
kriskras
and back to me.

Journal Entry 7 by BookCrosser at on Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Released on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at N/A in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Book will travel to Riemke.

Journal Entry 8 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, August 25, 2004
"a bookring never comes alone", and that was why I found two of them in my post box today. so plenty to read the next few weeks. thsnk biba for riningn and bookcrosser for sending it.

Released 14 yrs ago (10/3/2004 UTC) at Enjoy! in Controlled Release, Given to a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

RELEASE NOTES: in the mail to Olifant

Journal Entry 10 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, October 03, 2004
It wasn't the fault of this book that it took me so long reading it. It's interesting, beautiful ans has a quick, humourish style. i liked it. bookcrosser already quoted the most beautiful sentence of the book.
I think it's really a biba-book :-) ... that is: how I've got to know biba a little bit during the meetings.
olifant is the next reader, I'll send it today! and sorry for keeping it so long.

Journal Entry 11 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 05, 2004
Ah, The Bean Trees, ah!

Journal Entry 12 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, October 10, 2004
“There’s a whole invisible system for helping out the plant that you’d never guess was there.” I loved this idea. “It’s just the same as with people.”

Ah....love this book! It is warm and full of images. Barbara has a wonderful writing style: simple and often very funny. The book is about having no home and having a home, it’s about friendship and love, it’s about taking a risk and making the best of it.

Lou Ann hid her mouth with her hand.
“What?” I said.
“Nothing.” I could see perfectly well that she was smiling.
“Come on, what is it?”
“It’s been so long,” she said. “You talk just like me.”

Will send the book to Suzy26 tomorrow.

edit 06/09/05: Prodigal Summer

Journal Entry 13 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, October 14, 2004
Received this book in the mail. Can't wait to start reading, but first I have to finish another ringbook. Thanks to Olifant and Biba89 for sending c.q. ringing it.

Journal Entry 14 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, October 24, 2004
Wonderful book. Although it deals with a great number of heavy subjects (teenage pregnancy, child abuse, single motherhood, the refugee problem, American-Indians etc.etc.), this novel never gets melodramatic. It is very much about love and friendship. Its heroine, Taylor, is tough and tender at the same time. She takes everything in her stride and has a great sense of humor. It is a comforting book with a happy ending.

Here's what it said on the package: 'Please Note. Parts are included for all installations, but no installation requires all of the parts'. That's kind of my philosophy about men. I don't think there's an installation out there that could use all of my parts.

Journal Entry 15 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 25, 2004
Book is on its way to jgralike. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by jgralike from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Received the book today, I'm eager to start reading it, but there is one small and beautiful book I'm finishing first.

Journal Entry 17 by jgralike from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, November 08, 2004
This book just wriggled itself on top of TBR, when I read the first lines.
It is indeed a touching story, and I read on and on. It is not that Taylor sees everything more simple as it is, but she describes her life as if she is just telling the story, though there is a lot of tougher stuff in it then most of us will encounter. Strange things happen, beautiful things too, I'm glad I read the book.

Sending it on to Muizz, as MaaikeB already has her own copy.

Journal Entry 18 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Found it today when I came home. First two other bookrings to read, then this one.
My first impression: I don't like the cover... I wouldn't have picked it up when I found it in a library or a bookshop. But never judge a book by it's cover.....

Thank you jgralike for sending the book to me and for the nice postcard. And thanks Biba for ringing this book.

Journal Entry 19 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, January 18, 2005
As I said: never judge a book by it's cover. 'The Bean Trees' is a very special book. The story of Taylor, Turtle and their friends may be a little strange, but it is also very touching.
This book is one of the best books I've read in 2004! It was my introduction to Barbara Kingsolver, and I definitely want to read more of her books.
Thanks, biba, for sharing your favourite book with us!

Journal Entry 20 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 24, 2005
From Barbara Kingsolver I only read The poisonwood bible, and that I found great. So I want to try other books by the same author and this is one of them, so.....

Journal Entry 21 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, February 11, 2005
I hesitated about two weeks before starting this book. Just another book about poor people travelling in an old car through the US, I thought. But no, when I started I finished it in two days, unable to put it down for a long time. Of course it is a book about terrible things, but they are written about in such a way I often had a smile on my face. Sublime characters! I like to read all other books Barbara Kingsolver has written (except The poisonwood bible, I have read already).
Biba, thank you for ringing this book and Muizz for sending it to me. Today it leaves my house, direction Amsterdam. Maupi, here it comes!

Journal Entry 22 by HHX-328595 on Monday, February 14, 2005
Hebbes. Dank je wel janna, 't was een verrassing. En biba voor het ringen.
Wat een positieve berichten. En highly recommended door BookCrosser. Ik geloof dat ik 'm daarom wilde.

Journal Entry 23 by HHX-328595 on Friday, June 24, 2005
Read it, enjoyed the read. But for me it isn't such a memorable book and I don't think I'll be picking up another Kingsolver soon. It has this slightly trivial, soap-like, warm 'n fuzzy, group hug and it's a small world after all quality, not quite my taste. Still, I'm glad I know that now. I've heard so much about Kingsolver, now I've actually read one of her books.
Dutch-Flybaby's next.

Journal Entry 24 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Found this book on the table at the bookcrossingmeeting in Castricum last sunday. I'm starting to read it today as I have just finished another book :-)

Journal Entry 25 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, July 02, 2005
I finished book on the train yesterday. It was the first book I read of this author and I found it an enjoyable introduction to her writing. She writes some very true things in this book, one of which is 'in a world as wrong as this one, all we can do is make things as right as we can' (page 220). This book confirms my belief not to judge harshly and have compassion for people around us.
I'm looking forward to reading more books by this author :-)
I will send this book to wandering who is next on the list.

Journal Entry 26 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, July 02, 2005
Back cover with description of the book and picture of the author.

Released 13 yrs ago (7/6/2005 UTC) at A mailbox in town in Ede, Gelderland, Netherlands -- Controlled Releases

I'm going into town later and will mail this book then :-) Happy reading wandering!

Journal Entry 28 by wandering from Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Thursday, July 07, 2005
Arrived safe and sound on my doorstep today, I'm looking forward to reading it! The picture of the author vaguely reminds me of my mom in her early days... funny.

Journal Entry 29 by wandering from Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, August 07, 2005
What a pleasant read! I can do nothing but second every positive word in the journal entries above...

"I realized I had no business just assuming I could take the responsibility for a child's life."
"There's not a decent mother in the world that hasn't realized that."
[...]
"So how does a person make a decision that important? Whether or not they're going to do it?"
"Most people don't decide. They just don't have any choice. I've heard you say yourself that you think the reason most people have kids is because they get pregnant."
(p. 177)

Thanks for sharing, biba89! It's on its way to kriskras now... enjoy!

Journal Entry 30 by kriskras from Boxtel, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Monday, August 15, 2005
I found this book yesterday on my return from a trip to Italy and already started to read. Looks promissing! Thanks for sending Wandering :o)

Journal Entry 31 by kriskras from Boxtel, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Thursday, September 01, 2005
Oops, I read The Bean Trees about two weeks ago and totally forgot to journal it, sorry!
I found the book entertaining and worth reading, but it didn't turn me into a big Kingsolver fan as it left me with more or less the same feeling as it did Maupi.

I'll return the book to Biba89 tomorrow. Thanks for ringing!

Journal Entry 32 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, September 04, 2005
The Bean Trees are back home, after traveling for a year. I've got another copy by now. Let's see if there are some new people interested in another ring.

Journal Entry 33 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, July 10, 2006
This lovely novel is on its way to terpsicore in Portugal in a book swap. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, July 17, 2006
Just received. Thanks for the swap, biba89!

Journal Entry 35 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, August 24, 2006
Lovely book! I t made laugh, it made me cry, and even if some horrible things happen, you close this book in a great mood. Just what I needed.
And I love Barbara Kingsolver's prose. great images!
I'll see if someone else wants it over here or should I mail it back to you biba?

Journal Entry 36 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, September 07, 2006
PAssed it on to my collegue B., who enjoyed it,ands I will try to "push it" at today's meetup.