The Dutch Wife

by Ellen Keith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingshawing of San Diego, California USA on 4/24/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingshawing from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, April 24, 2019
some kind soul left this in my lfl ken east

Journal Entry 2 by wingshawing at San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, June 12, 2019
Truly amazing book

The following review is from Amazon:

AMSTERDAM, MAY 1943. As the tulips bloom and the Nazis tighten their grip across the city, the last signs of Dutch resistance are being swept away. Marijke de Graaf and her husband are arrested and deported to different concentration camps in Germany. Marijke is given a terrible choice: to suffer a slow death in the labor camp or—for a chance at survival—to join the camp brothel.

On the other side of the barbed wire, SS officer Karl MŸller arrives at the camp hoping to live up to his father’s expectations of wartime glory. When he encounters the newly arrived Marijke, this meeting changes their lives forever.

Woven into the narrative across space and time is Luciano Wagner’s ordeal in 1977 Buenos Aires, during the heat of the Argentine Dirty War. In his struggle to endure military captivity, he searches for ways to resist from a prison cell he may never leave.

From the Netherlands to Germany to Argentina, The Dutch Wife braids together the stories of three individuals who share a dark secret and are entangled in two of the most oppressive reigns of terror in modern history. This is a novel about the blurred lines between love and lust, abuse and resistance, and right and wrong, as well as the capacity for ordinary people to persevere and do the unthinkable in extraordinary circumstances.

Journal Entry 3 by wingshawing at Little Free Library Kensington East in San Diego, California USA on Sunday, July 21, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (7/21/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library Kensington East in San Diego, California USA

never judge challenge

Congratulations - You've found a free book !

Enjoy your book!

(If you decide to join Bookcrossing, please consider putting me, sha, as your referring member - thanks!)