The Book of Memory

by Petina Gappah | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by lamelemon of București, Wallachia Romania on 4/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by lamelemon from București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, April 22, 2019
The story you have asked me to tell begins not with the ignominious ugliness of Lloyd's death but on a long-ago day in April when the sun seared my blistered face and I was nine years old and my father and mother sold me to a strange man. I say my father and my mother, but really it was just my mother. Memory, the narrator of The Book of Memory, is an albino woman languishing in Chikurubi Maximum Security Prison in Harare, Zimbabwe, where she has been convicted of murder. As part of her appeal her lawyer insists that she write down what happened as she remembers it. The death penalty is a mandatory sentence for murder, and Memory is, both literally and metaphorically, writing for her life. As her story unfolds, Memory reveals that she has been tried and convicted for the murder of Lloyd Hendricks, her adopted father. But who was Lloyd Hendricks? Why does Memory feel no remorse for his death? And did everything happen exactly as she remembers? Moving between the townships of the poor and the suburbs of the rich, and between the past and the present, Memory weaves a compelling tale of love, obsession, the relentlessness of fate and the treachery of memory.

Journal Entry 2 by lamelemon at București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, April 22, 2019
While Memory may be clouded and foggy at times, the last 20 or so pages clear up everything and make so much sense. Too much sense. I have a couple of minor dislikes on how the reveals play out, building the artificial tension rather than writing it out. However, the book kept me interested throughout most of its phases. I am not a big fan of the frequent untranslated interludes that broke my rhythm here and there and that left me curious - but not that curious to actually google 'em up. Best cover I've seen in quite a while.

Journal Entry 3 by lamelemon at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, April 22, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Surprise!
Happy reading :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, April 28, 2019
Thank you so much for this wishlist book, what a wonderful surprise surprise!

Journal Entry 5 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, September 29, 2019
Very well written and interesting story, although maybe a little slow especially at the beginning. And I agree about the untranslated Shona bits, way too many of them included. But I kind of miss Memory's story now & would like to know what happened to her, so it must have been a great novel :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingsakirmowing at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, November 23, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/23/2019 UTC) at Miitti / Meet-up in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

At the meet-up

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 7 by wingPiikuwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, November 23, 2019
The book is here, thank you sakirmo.