Crossing to Safety

by Wallace Stegner | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 4/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Saturday, April 20, 2019
I've had this book a long time. I have even read it before. Some time ago I put a bookcrossing sticker in it, but it was blank. I didn't get around to registering it. So now I am.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, April 30, 2019
I read this some time ago but had forgotten that I had. When I started to reread it many parts came back to me, much more than normally happens when I reread books. I think it made a deep impression on me.

It is the story of two couples. There are moments of some drama but none are earthshaking. That is a part of its draw, really.

The couples meet in the 1930s when both men are working as professors at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. Sid Lang was a full-time professor, Larry Morgan (narrator of the story) new, part-time. Charity Lang was outgoing, enthusiastic, and determined, while Sally Lang was quieter and supportive.

Because of the depression, Larry and Sally knew they were lucky to have work at all. When they found a basement apartment to rent they were happy to fix it up and even enjoy their poverty. Sid and Charity had family money but living comfortably was never enough for Charity. While Sid had dreams of being a poet, quiet in the woods, Charity wanted much more for him. Larry, meanwhile, worked hard at writing and teaching and the two squirreled away pennies to make ends meet.

The two formed a bond immediately. The friendship was genuine and important to both. Over the years, wherever they were, they stayed in touch, not always as often as either would like. And we thus meet them at the start of the book, looking back over those years.

The quiet is not boring. Stegner manages to add momentum to what may seem mundane by the small interactions among the four and the observations of Larry. "Crossing to Safety" is a good title for the work of making an art out of life, for finding the way to live.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at Little Free Library on Papago Ln in Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Friday, May 17, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (5/17/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library on Papago Ln in Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Inside the box. In honor of Little Free Libary's 10th anniversary.