The Chalk Man

by C J Tudor | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 8/16/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 16, 2019
In 1986, Eddie and his friends are just kids on the verge of adolescence. They spend their days biking around their sleepy English village and looking for any taste of excitement they can get. The chalk men are their secret code: little chalk stick figures they leave for one another as messages only they can understand. But then a mysterious chalk man leads them right to a dismembered body, and nothing is ever the same.

In 2016, Eddie is fully grown, and thinks he's put his past behind him. But then he gets a letter in the mail, containing a single chalk stick figure. When it turns out that his friends got the same message, they think it could be a prank . . . until one of them turns up dead.

That's when Eddie realizes that saving himself means finally figuring out what really happened all those years ago.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 16, 2019
"The Chalk Man" started off with great promise. The incident at the fair, the "Pale Man" & the gruesome injuries of the Waltzer Girl all had a touch of Stephen King about it to my mind. Add to the fact that the narration of the young Ed reminded me of Belinda Bauer & I was expecting a cracking, creepy read that would be a hybrid of two authors I really enjoy....

...& yes I did enjoy it but while the creepy atmosphere that I'd initially forsaw didn't carry on throughout, it certainly wasn't without it's startling moments & even a downright nasty in one awful scene which I found very unsettling.

It's a very engrossing read, it tempts you with little snippets of info so you think you know where its headed but "don't assume" as Ed's dad rightly says, as there are a lot of twists...an awful lot...along the way. Even those I picked up on unravelled themselves in ways I didn't expect. Which leads me nicely onto...

...the final twist. I don't want to use a spoiler but I HAVE to say, this conclusion was a belter! I knew from a few hints in earlier chapters that something was a foot but would never, ever had expected this particular outcome. What a pleasure to be so taken aback.

A good read indeed.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Debut Novels bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 01, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/1/2019 UTC) at Debut Novels bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Added to my "Debut Novels" Bookbox ready for round 2

Released as part of the NOVEMBER "THE" CHALLENGE (#5)