The Wife

by Meg Wolitzer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by K8-Kate of Funkstown, Maryland USA on 4/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by K8-Kate from Funkstown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, April 17, 2019
I'd heard lots of talk about the movie, but we all know the books are always better. I enjoyed it but will admit I can easily see Glenn Close as Joan.

Journal Entry 2 by K8-Kate at Somewhere in town. in Shepherdstown, West Virginia USA on Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (4/18/2019 UTC) at Somewhere in town. in Shepherdstown, West Virginia USA

I'll be in Shepherdstown and will leave this somewhere around town.

Journal Entry 3 by Ck1990 at Shepherdstown, West Virginia USA on Sunday, May 19, 2019
I picked this up in Shephardstown, WV at a little cafe in town. I was riding the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O towpath with my mom and a friend from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. We happened to pass through town and the book traveled with me a great deal since then. It made it the rest of the route with me and then back home to Michigan. I had to take an unexpected trip to Nigeria, so it has been through many airports and accompanied me all the way back to the Paris airport where I will leave it for someone new to find.

Reading this book made me grateful that I wasn’t coming of age in the 50s and that I am strong willed in a way that ensures I would never find myself in Joan’s shoes. It’s also a testament to the progress that has been made in women’s rights and a nod to the work left to do. The suppression and alteration of Joan’s gift in order to find success for her husband made me heartsick for her. The slow burn of this book made my blood boil because from the beginning you can start to see the way in which Joan bends herself into the woman she needs to be in order to stay with Joe. She gave her life for his. Her pride for his. Her identity for his. In the end she is left with nothing but a legacy intertwined and tainted by his. I wanted more for her. I expected more of her and I would have been disappointed to call her mother. And yet, she was a product of the time and who can say if I wouldn’t have been the same way had the roles been reversed.

This book went with me through 6 states and 3 countries, feels good to finally release it on its next adventure!