Tranny

by Laura Jane Grace | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 4/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Wednesday, April 17, 2019
I picked this up on little more than a whim, having enjoyed some of Against Me!'s music and read some interviews by Grace that all sounded very eloquent. Plus expecting me to go into a gift shop and not come out with a book is asking a lot, even when they have a limited selection that appeals to me.

I finished it in a day.

Without giving away too much of the detail that Grace shares with her readers, it is a tale of gender confusion, punk rock politics, family (both blood and found) conflicts, and ultimately her transition to the woman she is today. Pretty captivating stuff. Her language is raw and often harsh, both to herself and to those around her, but contains a stubborn poetry and poise both in her journal entries and in the parts written for this book.

Her depiction of the punk scenes she has been involved in does feel bitter at times, but I also felt that it was true. I suspect many people who have been involved in punk music and DIY lifestyles have gone through the sad realization that not everyone is in it for the same reasons. Her frustration with the common tendency to talk politically without following it up with action is one I was sympathetic to.

I was particularly personally grateful for a story about an adult facing dysphoria and cautiously exploring her gender identity. Most of the books I have seen are from a teen POV, and although I am very glad these young people are able to safely transition, it is a very different situation for adults who have created a whole life, career, and family under an inaccurate name and persona. Choosing to upend what many people would consider a perfectly acceptable life and gamble the possibility of losing decades of work is an entirely different kind of risk.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Cortland, New York USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (4/23/2019 UTC) at Cortland, New York USA

Added to the Feminism/Girl Power bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by lemondrop622 at Englewood, Colorado USA on Monday, May 20, 2019
Picking this one from the feminism/girl power book-box, thanks for releasing :)