The Portrait of a Lady

by Henry James | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingemmejowing of Cortland, New York USA on 4/10/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingemmejowing from Cortland, New York USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2019
I wasn't sure what to think of this book based on the cover, but the tone of the preface encouraged me, and I actually liked it a lot! It tosses aside and rips down some of the tropes we expect when presented with a romantically headstrong, suddenly well-connected, young woman with wit. I wasn't expecting some of the plot twists, and was engaged by the characters and their complex emotional connections.

This was an impressively timeless tale of confused and conflicted desires, but another aspect that felt very modern was the class conflict and tension of politics. The sharp comments on "the radicals of the upper class" who are praised for their talk about societal change while living in luxury feel quite current.

Journal Entry 2 by wingemmejowing at Cortland, New York USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (4/23/2019 UTC) at Cortland, New York USA

Added to the Feminism/Girl Power box. This might be an unconventional choice, but I though the main character was strong and engaging enough to earn her place in this box.

Journal Entry 3 by ravencat at Buffalo, New York USA on Saturday, May 04, 2019
Chosen from the Feminism/GirlPower bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by ravencat at Little Free Library in Buffalo, New York USA on Friday, June 14, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (6/14/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library in Buffalo, New York USA

Wild released at Snoopy's Little Free Library on Main St. West Seneca,NY

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at West Seneca, New York USA on Tuesday, August 13, 2019
This book showed up in my little free library back in June! I have not had time to read it so I'll be returning it to my library for others to enjoy!