84, Charing Cross Road

by Helene Hanff | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 4/7/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, April 07, 2019
Loved this when I read it many, many years ago.

Amazon:
When Helene Hanff makes an innocent inquiry about the possibility of purchasing hard-to-find books through Marks and Co., Booksellers, she begins a 20-year love affair with Frank Doel, the proper English bookseller who answers her letter and sends along her first order in the fall of 1949.

They are two very unlikely correspondents: she a cranky Jewish New Yorker who writes TV scripts and lives in a messy apartment on East 95th Street; he a determinedly courteous middle-class Englishman who sends her beautifully bound and often obscure antiquarian books from the shop he manages on Charing Cross Road in London.

The letters, written between 1949 and 1969, capture the period and pay tribute to the special kind of reader who treasures a well-worn classic.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Le Marché Bar in Strasbourg, Alsace France on Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (4/16/2019 UTC) at Le Marché Bar in Strasbourg, Alsace France

For the Strasbourg meetup!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingIndy2012wing at Strasbourg, Alsace France on Wednesday, April 17, 2019
It is very usefull to practise my english from time to time. Let's pick this little book up, it looks funny.