Cat Among the Pigeons

by Agatha Christie | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingBookworm-ladywing of Madrid, Madrid Spain on 4/5/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, April 5, 2019
"Summer term...
Dear Mummy: We had a murder last night. Miss Springer, the gym mistress. It happened in the middle of the night and the police came and this morning they're asking everybody questions. Miss Chadwick asked us not to talk to anybody about it, but I thought you'd like to know. With love, Jennifer."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Por correo, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Spain on Saturday, April 13, 2019

Released 5 yrs ago (4/13/2019 UTC) at Por correo, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Spain

Sent to the winner of the Export an Animal Sweeps...
I am sending to you more than one animal... and something yummy which is also animal-shaped.
Congrats on winning... and enjoy!! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Why wasn't my gym mistress murdered back when I was at school? Actually she was ok, it was her subject I didn't like.
The book arrived on The Day of Book and Rose of all days! Dame Agatha had with her a (what is the collective noun of ladybirds?)...gaggle / parliament / exaltation / murmuration / descent / mustering / unkindness / host / bouquet / tidings / cast / ostentation / charm / skein / siege / pitying ... oh, we must be getting closer... a deceit! Oh no, Agatha of course brought with her a MURDER OF LADYBIRDS and a couple of Easter lollipops. Yummy!
If you are wondering what the heck happened a bit earlier in the text here, you are not familiar with the devilish side of the English language. Almost all animals have their own group name, a collective noun, which even the Brits do not master but a few. Geese have two, a gaggle of geese when they are on water and a skein of geese when they are flying. In case you are curious - and I hope you are, because I am going to tell it to you anyway - these are the birds linked to the above mentioned collective nouns: A parliament of owls, an exaltation of larks, a murmuration of starlings, a descent of woodpeckers, a mustering of storks, an unkindness of ravens, a host of sparrows, a bouquet of pheasants, a tidings of magpies, a cast of hawks, an ostentation of peacocks, a charm of finches, a siege of herons, a pitying of turtledoves, a deceit of lapwings and Agatha's favourite: a murder of crows. I am not making this up, in case you are wondering. I am looking it up from James Lipton's (yes, he from the Actors' Studio) very useful book An Exaltation of Larks.
Could not find the collective noun for pidgeons, however, but a clowder of cats is when you are the suffering servant of many cats.
This brings to mind year 1997 right after the bubonic plague and the great Spanish influenza. I was on a whale-watching trip on a wee ketch in the Hebrides. Ten days at sea. There was something I had not read in the small print of the brochure and it was that I was going to share my cabin with seven men! They came in all sizes and ages, so it turned out to be a male-watching expedition as well. But no need to worry, continental people have sex life, Brits have hot water bottles. I was safe as safe can be. It was there that it dawned on me that the English language is something too complicated for Brits, too. In the evenings we played the dictionary game, which meant that each one in turn looked up an obscure word from the dictionary, asked if somebody knew what it meant, if nobody knew, then everybody was supposed to write an explanation of the word on a piece of paper and the one who had chosen the word, wrote the real meaning. Then he read all the explanations aloud and we were supposed to guess which was the correct one. We hardly ever knew. That's how hard English is. And one evening was spent playing who would come up with most collective nouns and I thought they must have been joking.
Last but not least, thank you, Bookworm-lady. I have read almost all Dame Agatha's book when young, but the good thing about getting old is that you can read them again and not remember anything! A murdered gym teacher? No recollection.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkirjakkowing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 13, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Dame Agatha will travel to the BC-convention in Tampere and will surely find a new reader from there.

Journal Entry 5 by wingLotty_wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
I've taken this one from the Bookcrossing Convention in Tampere.

Released 2 wks ago (5/5/2024 UTC) at Doorkijkkerk Reading between the lines in Borgloon, Limburg / Limbourg Belgium

Fly and be free!