Four Past Midnight

by Stephen King | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 03, 2019
I got this hefty hardcover at a local Goodwill thrift shop, for another release copy.

The book contains four novellas:

"The Langoliers" features a group of passengers on a cross-country flight who wake up to find that all the other passengers have disappeared mid-flight; when they manage to land they discover that things are even weirder on the ground... [The 1995 TV-movie adaptation of this story emphasized the plot-holes and included some (near-literally) scenery-chewing performances, but I rather enjoyed it - even if the eventual appearance of the creatures of the title seemed more silly than scary.]

"Secret Window, Secret Garden" centers on a theme that King has used in other works - an author who's accused of plagiarism by a mysterious visitor. (This was adapted to film as Secret Window; this book is a movie-tie-in edition to that film.)

"Sun Dog" features a camera that captures more than expected - I found the concept very creepy, though oddly enough the story itself didn't impress me as much as the idea.

And "Library Policeman" takes the idea of Intimidating Librarian to another level {wry grin} - though as one who never let my books get overdue I found myself sympathizing more with the library-folk than otherwise!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book and associated films, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Haverhill Public Library in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, October 12, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/12/2019 UTC) at Haverhill Public Library in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book in or near the library while visiting the Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Festival. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 October Spooktacular release challenge. ***