A Cook's Tour

by Anthony Bourdain | Travel |
Registered by wingsakirmowing of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 4/2/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingsakirmowing from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, April 02, 2019
In search of a perfect meal

Released 9 mos ago (4/26/2019 UTC) at Haus der Jugend - BC Convention 2019 in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Released at the Convention

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, April 29, 2019
Thanks for sharing this book. I love Anthony Bourdain and am so sad he passed away. I've read this already but will bring it along to release somewhere.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at baixa, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, May 08, 2019
I love Anthony Bourdain's books and his TV shows, and was very saddened when he suicided last year.

Like an excellent dish, the book is craftily prepared: colorful, flavorful, authentic, with complex layers of tastes, slightly exotic, teasing you to indulge in forkful after forkful. I wonder if Bourdain had a ghost writer. Otherwise, his talent with pen certainly matches the one with pan!

Bourdain was not shy about exposing his intimate thoughts and feelings, which makes this travelogue and food guide that much more entertaining. Very often, he would start talking about a dish, a cuisine, and then delve deeper. Like when he visited France, in the end he realized that he didn't go there to look for the perfect meal. He didn't go there to look for his childhood home. He went to look for his father, who was no longer there (or anywhere.) Similarly, his visit to Cambodia unleashed some very strong comments about Kissinger.

Something I find weird about the book though - it looks like the editor hit a shuffle play button on his computer. The chapters hop around, from Portugal to Vietnam to Spain to Japan then to Vietnam and Japan again... Not that it matters much as each chapter pretty much stands along, just kind of weird.

Lots of bonus points for his love for the stinky durian, but they all got deducted later for his rabbit killing spree...

Bringing it to a meetup with some local BCers. Hope this gets picked up if not will release at a LFL.

Journal Entry 5 by conto at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, May 08, 2019
I decided to try and take a look at this one, as I've never read anything from Bourdain.
If too much time passes I'll make sure to keep it moving though.
Thanks for sharing sakirmo and Azuki!