The Darkest Day

by Tom Wood | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingrainbow3wing of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/31/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingrainbow3wing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 31, 2019
Book burble: ’Victor is a thrilling antihero’ Pierre Morel, Director of Taken

HE IS DARKNESS. SHE WANTS HIM DEAD.
She moves like a shadow; she kills silently: Raven. This elegant assassin has been on the run for years. This time, though, she has picked the wrong target.

The hitman known only as ‘Victor’ is as paranoid as he is merciless and is no stranger to being hunted. He tracks his would-be killer across the globe, aiming not only to neutralise the threat but to discover who wants him dead. The trail leads to New York...
AND THEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT.
Over one night of blackout darkness, chaos Victor and Raven play a vicious game of cat and mouse that the city will never forget.

THE DARKEST DAY (Victor the Assassin 5) by TOM WOOD (2015) | ISBN: 0751556025 / 9780751556025 (UK PB)| Publisher: Sphere
PLEASE NOTE: this no longer belongs to Edinburgh City Libraries - it is a WITHDRAWN library book.

Journal Entry 2 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, June 02, 2019
Covers the build-up to, in personal terms for assassin’s ‘Victor’ and ‘Raven’ and includes over 12 hours of mayhem during the unremitting darkness, as Manhattan dissolves into chaos. Amid looting, conspiracy and blackout! Fast paced thriller loads of big sweeps into over-the-top Mission Impossible style territory with an anti-hero who sadly feels somewhat hollow. Too many impossibly choreographed chase scene’s for my taste, [yawn] I think better placed in movies, though perhaps they are also dynamic in audio books? Giving that more thought if chase scenes are not included in books in the first instance [books being kinda’ test beds for movies] maybe they wouldn’t get such feature time in movies or hold on is that a circular argument going nowhere…?

To finish, The Darkest Day went where I didn’t expect it to go which was great… I was certainly entertained even if it left me unable to rave wildly about it. Which is of no interest to armchair thrill-seekers who I expect will vote with their cash and fly these off the shelves like hot-scones.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrainbow3wing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/14/2019 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Bought from a library sale table to be given away during a BookCrossing book release walk on International BookCrossing Day 2019, SUN 21 APR – BUT I decided to read this first so that plan was altered to this being released instead to honorary BookCrosser MrFlutterbies9. Headed into the post WED 12TH JUNE 2019, and arrived today.

Thoughts please later MrF9. Even if only, ‘Thrill a minute!’ ‘Not in the mood’ or ‘Great read, but oops - now wrinkled! Dropped in puddle while on a cycle tour’… Or whatever!
---------------------

HA! Labelling this [OK rather last min] before wrapping it for the post with its BookCrossing bookplate furnished with its BCID number when I read this (below) inside the cover which I’d say explains the chase scenes I warbled on about in the Journal Entry above!

“Tom Wood is a full-time writer born in Burton-on-Trent, and who now lives in London. After a stint as freelance editor and film-maker, his first novel, The Hunter, was an instant bestseller. StudioCanal and the director of Taken, Pierre Morel, are currently adapting The Hunter, for the big screen.”

Journal Entry 4 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Saturday, June 15, 2019
Received Friday 14th June in a very late Easter package with chocolate and books. chocolate in fridge and books now joining tbr for a while. Many thanks.