The Dept to Pleasure

by John Lancaster | Cooking, Food & Wine | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingkirjakkowing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 3/21/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingkirjakkowing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 21, 2019
The genre could also have been memoirs and biographies, but as food is here The Issue, I choose food and cooking.
I have no idea where this book has come from, but I decided to have a look at it first when looking for books to put into Chania's parcel. The writer is a snob, at times uses words out of my vocabulary, but shows enough sense of humour that I will continue - Chania may get this later.

Pic: Vegetable crepes, Estonian style.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 21, 2019
Oops, this wasn't a memoir, but a work of fiction. I was becomming more and more amazed by this person's ego and tried to find out from the back cover who the heck this narcissus really was... Or thought he was.
Why is it that whenever people try to show off being a man of the world and being able to speak seven languages, they always, just always misspell the only Finnish word they use? In this book it was tattoriblinit.
The visit to a public school was well-written, with "mystery meat" and all.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkirjakkowing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Sunday, March 24, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (3/24/2019 UTC) at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland

I didn't have time to finish this before the Ärräpaketti-deadline. Although I liked the dry wit and places and characters he described - once I realized this wasn't a biography of a narcissistic food critique - and he didn't put in too many recipes to bore me, but I'm not sure I would have had the stamina to last the whole book. So, I rather quit now and put this in Chania's parcel than leave it out and regret later.
Enjoy, I think this might be your kind of book.

Pic: Celebration cake for 30 years of breeding dogs. One of our clients asked us over to her party and to honour us she had decorated the cake with chocolate semen.

Journal Entry 4 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, March 28, 2019
Cool cake!!! I look forward reading this, too!

Journal Entry 5 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Sunday, January 26, 2020
Well well... a bit hard with really long sentences (like half the page!) and uppish language, but on the other hand, interesting as the story turned out to be completely different of what I thought first. Also delicious meals!
And with unreliable narrator, so this is perfect for the HELMET-reading challenge!

Released 4 days ago (7/1/2020 UTC) at Turun linnan puisto in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

For the finder: Enjoy!