Into Thin Air

by Jon Krakauer | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingSqnutZipswing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 3/16/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqnutZipswing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 16, 2019
Fascinating book, well written. However, I am saddened and disturbed about the commercialism surrounding Mt.Everest and all of the trash and pollution humans have left behind. The total disruption of nature for unnecessary human obsessions.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqnutZipswing at Northside Social Coffee and Wine in Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 16, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (3/16/2019 UTC) at Northside Social Coffee and Wine in Arlington, Virginia USA

This book is being released for the 4 Elements Release Challenge 2019 this book has AIR in the title.

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free and loads of fun.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 17, 2019
Picked up at today's BCinDC meetup at Silver Diner in Arlington, Virginia. I read another copy a while back and this is what I had to say then:

In the mid 1990s, Krakauer was sent as a journalist to join an guided expedition to the top of Mount Everest. Things go massively wrong and twelve people lose their lives. This is, as perhaps should be expected, an extremely difficult book to get through. The history and mechanics of climbing Everest and mountaineering in general are fascinating, but this is clearly the tale of one man’s struggle with grief and loss - a tragedy that is, to me, completely senseless. There’s no necessity to summit Everest. I get why people do it, but there’s nothing noble in dying to do so. I’m not usually interested in sad stories, but the personality of Krakauer’s writing kept me going. The details are shared with such frankness and intimacy that I felt like I was there. Would I recommend this book? Sure, as long as you understand what you’re getting yourself into: there’s no redemption, no happy ending. As such, it should be required reading for anyone planning to scale a major peak, even with a guide. It is not something to be undertaken lightly. Neither, for that matter, is this book, though in a completely different sense.

Planned Release in 4 days (4/28/2019 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

This is one of the many books given away at the 2019 Kensington Day of the Book Festival.
Welcome to BookCrossing!