The Clockmaker's Daughter

by Kate Morton | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingelizardbreathwing of Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on 3/19/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Tuesday, March 19, 2019
I received this on paperbackswap.com. I'd already read it by the time it came up my turn but I know people will have it on their wishlists so I decided to go ahead and request it and save it to add to my VBB.

Here's my review from the library copy I read last fall:

Gosh, I don't know if it's a problem with me or what but the last two Kate Morton's I've read have really let me down. If this was my first go at her books, I would have just loved it but comparing to former books, I'm just not feeling it.

This one was really slow to get into...as in, I didn't really get into it until the last 90 pages or so! So many characters and soooooo much set up. It feels to me like she took 400 pages to set up for 90 pages.

Once things did finally begin to come together, there was one great revelation after another and a few surprises. There are two crimes in this story: a theft and a murder. I had the "thief" figured out very early in. I figured out the "murderer" a little later on but how it was done---totally didn't see that coming even though it was definitely foreshadowed in several places.

I still think Kate Morton is a total genius, don't get me wrong...maybe I was just in the mood for something more swiftly paced this time around and felt annoyed at how slowly I was moving through.

Sending to dabercro for the VBB. Enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 3 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Monday, May 20, 2019
Arrived in the mail. Thank you for sending.

Journal Entry 4 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, July 09, 2019
From the book jacket..."...the lives of the many people who have passed through the house are revealed. There is Radcliffe, whose love affair with his model and muse consumes him; his sister Lucy, who opens a school for young ladies; Leonard Gilbert, a soldier and scholar who retreats to Birchwood after World War I to heal and to write a biography of Radcliffe; Juliet, a young widow who takes refuge there with her three small children during the Blitz; and, in the present day, Jack Rolands, who has come from far away to search for lost treasure and who meets Elodie when she eventually arrives at the house."

As stated by a previous journaler, it took awhile to get into the book. Thdre were many characters and the story moved from the present to different periods in the past. The story is centered around Birchwood Manor and the spirit of the home. It is a multilayered story told in many voices.

I am glad I stuck through the beginning of the book because I really enjoyed it.