The Lower River

by Paul Theroux | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by amyem of Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on 3/13/2019
Journal Entry 1 by amyem from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 13, 2019
I tried but I have a snake phobia and there were just too many plot points involving snakes. Made it halfway through.

I felt guilty and I've restarted it....

I did manage to finish it but there were chunks I had to skip past. This was a tough read and I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Ellis Hock is a hard character to figure out, he seems to have an essential kindness about him but also so much passivity. With his life turned upside down late in his life, he tried to return to where he was once happy in Malawi. He seems to know that things will have changed but the extent to which he is unprepared for what happens is hard to fathom. There was alot that reminded me of The Mosquito Coast and how terribly badly things can go. However, my creep out factor of the snakes mostly just drove me to finish it as fast as I could, afraid of every page. Not a pleasant experience from an author I usually like.

Journal Entry 2 by amyem at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (3/23/2019 UTC) at Panera Bread - Porter Sq in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for release at March 2019 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by wingIddyluwing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 23, 2019
Caught; thank you!