Wit's End

by Karen Joy Fowler | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by vanbiohazard of North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 3/12/2019
Journal Entry 1 by vanbiohazard from North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 12, 2019
I really enjoyed this story of a woman, Rima Lansill, that just doesn't know what to do with herself. Her entire family is dead, and the death of her beloved brother hurts her the most. To try to recover from her grief and ennui, she goes to live with her godmother, Addison Early, a renowned mystery writer and owner of Wit's End, and one time close friend of her father. Why did Addison and her father fall out? Why did Addison use his real name as one of her characters, who just happened to be a murderer? What was the true nature of their friendship? What exactly is Addison working on anyway, as there has been no book for years, but she faithfully goes to her studio to 'work'? And who are these nutty people (eccentric college dog walkers, a grumpy but efficient housekeeper, that seems to want to and not want to set up her son with Rima, a fan/stalker that keeps appearing, and a mail carrier that invites himself in Wit's End) that seem to revolve around Addison? And why does Maxwell Lane, Addison's fictional sleuth, appear in Rima's sometimes erotic dreams? Rima intends to find out, but what she really finds out is more about herself. I loved Fowler's writing in this book, more than once I chuckled out loud to myself; a sometimes embarrassing thing when travelling on the bus

Journal Entry 2 by vanbiohazard at Kafka's Coffee Shop in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (3/12/2019 UTC) at Kafka's Coffee Shop in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Releasing at Bookcrossing Meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by Strude at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, March 26, 2019
First of all, this was the paperback edition, which is important because the protagonist's name is different in this edition. And this is her correct name. (Be careful when you sell naming rights.)
Your mind needs to be relaxed and receptive while reading this book because the narration shifts back and forth in time as well as in the matter of factual happenings. There is also the matter of fictional vs real people.
Rima Lansill has had both her parents and her beloved brother Oliver die, all at separate times but leaving her now without any immediate family. It takes a little while before we realize that when her brother died in a drunken car crash Rima turned to drink. She has never really been sure of herself and who she is right down to her name which Oliver twists around for her: Mari? Imar? Mair? Irma? Her temporary haven is her godmother's house Wit's End in northern California, right on the beach. She begins to see that her godmother, A B Early, has some secrets and it is quite possible that Rima's father is involved in things.
It finally became obvious that Oliver's name was inevitable when Rima mutters at one point, "Another fine mess you've got us in, Oliver."
The book read as confusingly as real life often is. Rima and Addison both eliminate certain facts from their memories and Martin refuses to let things go. Outside people know certain things, but do they really? Whose account is truest and how much do you need to know in order to get on with life. It is the getting on with life that is the hardest for both Rima and Martin but by the end I think both of them are ready to do that.
I really enjoyed the "dollhouse" models that Addison uses to create the murder scenes she uses in her mystery novels. It's an original idea that might even help an author as it does Addison.

Released 3 wks ago (3/27/2019 UTC) at Waves Coffee - Columbia St in New Westminster, British Columbia Canada

Our end of the month meetup at Waves is convenient for people on Sky train. We'll be here on Columbia St till 8 or 8:30 depending on who comes. (Last time we became involved in a man's podcast and Bima even got a chance to promo her book) We can't leave books here so anything not chosen has to be taken back home. Why not join us and see what's happening this month.