Unseen Academicals

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 3/10/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, March 10, 2019
Football has come to the ancient city of Ankh-Morpork...

... not the old-fashioned, grubby pushing and shoving, but the new, fast football with pointy hats for goalposts and balls that go gloing. And now the wizards of Unseen University must win a football match without using magic, so they're going to try everything else.

The Big Match draws in an urchin with a gift for kicking a tin can, a maker of jolly good pies, a dim but beautiful young woman, who might turn out to be the greatest fashion model ever, and the mysterious Mr Nutt. (No one knows much about Mr Nutt, not even Mr Nutt)

As the match approaches, four lives are changed forever. Because the thing about football -- the important thing about football -- is that it is not just about football.

Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!

I've read several of the early Discworld stories, but I'm not an aficionado, so while I enjoyed Pratchett's play on words, maybe I didn't appreciate some of the long-running themes that have evolved as the Discworld novels have appeared.