Four Seasons in Rome

by Anthony Doerr | Travel |
ISBN: 141657316X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 3/3/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, March 03, 2019
The day the author and his wife returned home from the hospital with newborn twins, he received a letter informing him that he had won an award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and with it a stipend and a writing studio in Rome for a year.

Doerr was nominated by an anonymous sponsor. When I read that he was writing a novel set in German-occupied Normandy, I was like, why would he be in Rome? Shouldn't he be doing research in France or Germany? And then belatedly I noticed that the cover said, author of All The Light We Cannot See. Ah, so this is a book about him writing a book that I love very much. Yes, he totally deserves the award and I am so glad it has helped him produced such a fine work.

I enjoy reading about his year in Rome: His reading Pliny the Elder (I am ashamed to say I only know of him as the name of a beer...) His caring for the babies. His working on the novel. Even in the memoir, his beautiful, lyric writing shines brilliantly.

I received this book from Lemonitsa as a BD gift. I plan to release this at the BC Con, as this book has a special link with BookCrossing. The author is from Idaho, the birthplace of Bally! And the book he wrote was set in Germany, where the BC con will be.

Released 11 mos ago (4/27/2019 UTC) at Haus der Jugend - BC Convention 2019 in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Well, the author didn't go to Germany to write his All The Light We Cannot See, so this little book is going in his stead.

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcoco7wing at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, April 30, 2019
How lovely! I didn't realize until now that this book is autobiographical. I liked All The Light We Cannot See a lot, his writing is beautiful.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcoco7wing at Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, October 25, 2019
This is not really a book about a Rome. It's a bit about an American who isn't used to remains of European history all around him - though Rome is really unique in this way, even I was in awe at every corner.
Most of all, it's about caring for two newborns and immersing oneself into a foreign city and culture and language at the same time, as if one of these tasks wasn't more than enough. It seems like a great adventure, but a deeply tiring one.
In my opinion, that shines through. The book feels a bit incoherent, but that's totally okay.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcoco7wing at Little Tree Books & Coffee in Koukaki - Κουκάκι, Attica Greece on Sunday, February 16, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/16/2020 UTC) at Little Tree Books & Coffee in Koukaki - Κουκάκι, Attica Greece

at the meetup

Journal Entry 6 by feltre at Zografou - Ζωγράφου, Attica Greece on Monday, February 17, 2020
From the meet up.