The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why

Where's this book been?
by Amanda Ripley | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/16/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, July 16, 2019
I got this hardcover from an online seller. I'm fascinated by accounts of disasters, great or small, and have read many historical and scientific books about them - but this one focuses on the survivors and seeks to find common elements that might help people who find themselves in similarly unthinkable situations. That said, the nature of "disaster" is such that injury and/or shock may be the immediate reaction, and an involuntary one... There are discussions of the types of reaction, from freeze-in-place (I think that's my default) to keep-on-doing-whatever-one-was-already-doing (an interesting aspect of denial) to outright panic. While some amount of training might help in preventing or minimizing the can't-think-what-to-do stage, it does seem that some individuals are just better able to cope with sudden trauma - and they aren't always the people one might imagine as being most likely to step up. (There are more discussions here of people who stepped in to help others, to lead evacuations or attempt rescues or comfort victims, than in individual survival.)

The strongest advice is to pay attention to emergency scenarios. Whether it's noting the exits at a restaurant or movie theater, reading the airplane guides on safety, or implementing and practicing evacuation routes from office buildings, the idea is to establish enough of a baseline on what to do that it reduces the chances of spending crucial minutes trying to remember those steps...

[One of my favorite books on disaster preparedness is Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales, and I was pleased to see it cited in this book.]

Released 1 mo ago (7/22/2019 UTC) at Main Dunstable Rd. (see notes for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in or near Medicine World pharmacy on Main Dunstable; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]