How the Light Gets In

Where's this book been?
by Louise Penny | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/20/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, May 20, 2019
This was among the books donated to the Nashua Public Library for distribution to Little Free Libraries.

I loved this book, which brings together several long-running complications from earlier books - including Jean-Guy Beauvoir's devastating fall from grace in The Beautiful Mystery, and the increasing pressure on Gamache from his archrival - and boss - Francoeur. And the story also features several strong ties to the near-magical village of Three Pines, starting with Myrna's request to Gamache to find out what happened to a friend and former client of hers who's overdue for a Christmas visit. The identity of the missing woman leads to a fascinating and heart-wrenching case (that's clearly patterned on a real-life family), and while it does not intersect directly with Gamache's investigation of another woman's death, it does offer reasons for repeated visits to Three Pines, something that becomes a key plot point later on.

There's so much going on in this story, much of it very depressing and increasingly scary, that I was on the edge of my seat most of the time. It wasn't until fairly late in the story that I began to learn what Gamache's plan was, and even then there were no guarantees that he'd succeed. Heck, when he realized the full magnitude of his enemy's master plan, he's stunned - even he didn't think they'd go that far...

Wonderful suspense, touches of humor, lots of interaction between all my favorite characters - and did I mention the suspense? And with a conclusion that really brought me to emotional extremes, including laughter and tears. Excellent entry in this excellent series - though I admit that much of its power has to do with my growing fondness for the characters after reading the previous books. As so many of the characters have, I've fallen in love with Three Pines!

[See also Still Life, the first in the series. And there's a very good audiobook version of this novel, narrated by Ralph Cosham.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Park Social in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (5/22/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Park Social in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library in the park; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]