The Best of Analog

Where's this book been?
by Ben Bova | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 22, 2019
I found this somewhat-battered softcover in this Little Free Library in Nashua NH while dropping off some books of my own. I decided to try and repair it, as it features lots of great stories and should be good for at least a few more reads!

Stories I've liked best so far:

David Lewis' "Common Denominator" features a space pilot and his wingman as they try to knock down the enemy - but when the wingman's desire for blood and glory overrides the goal of ending the conflict, things get very ugly. The story highlights issues of loyalty vs. decency - and has a very touching conclusion in which enemies acknowledge these difficulties in the only way they can.

George R. R. Martin's eerie "A Song for Lya" describes a very unusual symbiotic relationship that drives bonded couples to allow themselves to be absorbed by another species, in the belief that it will let them be joined in bliss forever.

Hayford Pierce's "Unlimited Warfare" is a humorous/snarky look at an unconventional twist on war: the UK and France are at it again, but instead of bombs they've opted to destroy each other's favorite beverages, French wines and English tea... Oh, the horror!

P. J. Plauger's "Child of All Ages" deals with immortality - with some rather nasty restrictions, such as that the formula only works on prepubescent children. If they stop taking the potion and reach puberty, the effects of the immortality will cease - which means there's an out for those who get weary of eternity, I suppose, but the story's protagonist has lived for millennia and wants to retain her immortality. The story's about her attempts to be accepted by a modern-day family.

Other tales include a search for dragons, the selling of the Brooklyn Bridge, and a vengeful robot.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 25, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (3/25/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Science Fiction release challenge. ***