The Bear

Curl up with a good book!
by Raymond Briggs | Children's Books |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/5/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 05, 2019
I got this softcover from Better World Books. It's by the author of The Man and the charming and incredibly harrowing When the Wind Blows.

This one's not as dark as some of his other works. It deals with a girl who imagines that a polar bear comes to visit (if it *is* her imagination!) - and not a cuddly toy-sized polar bear but a lifesize one, with huge paws and teeth and appetite (though it contents itself with whatever the girl offers it). The illustrations are lovely, and while the eventual departure of the bear for its own home is a bit sad, overall it's a charming story. (The scenes where our heroine has to clean up the bear's poo and pee suggest some disadvantages to such a wild houseguest - and add weight to the possibility that there really was a bear, unlikely as that seems!)

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Roby Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 06, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (9/7/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Roby Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library near the playground on this cool day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 You're Such an Animal release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 11, 2019
We picked this up at the little library in Nashua. It was cute, both my boys liked it.