Northanger Abbey

by Val McDermid | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by TempleCloud of Radstock, Somerset United Kingdom on 2/22/2019
Journal Entry 1 by TempleCloud from Radstock, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, February 22, 2019
Of the series of modern reboots of Austen's novels, this lively reworking of 'Northanger Abbey' is my favourite. Here, Catherine Morland is re-imagined as a 'Twilight' fan who really, really wants to believe that her friend Henry Tilney and his family are vampires, cos it would be SO cool if they were LOL!

At the same time as making us laugh, McDermid communicates very believably how scary it can feel to be a teenager going on holiday without Mum and Dad for the first time, not knowing whom you can trust. Sensibly, she deals with the way modern transport has shortened distances by moving the setting to the Scottish Highlands, far out of reach of mobile phone signal and the Internet. So how do you email for help if your host turns out to be not only a vampire, but also Bluebeard?

Journal Entry 2 by TempleCloud at The Spring Arts & Heritage Centre in Havant, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 23, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (2/23/2019 UTC) at The Spring Arts & Heritage Centre in Havant, Hampshire United Kingdom

I released this at a BookCrossing meeting in Havant. It was a very small meeting (only four of us turned up), but for me, as a very new BookCrosser, it was an unthreatening way to meet and chat to other members. PDB11 and I got on so well with Spacehamster that we gave her a lift to her job (in Southampton, where PDB11 and I have been staying while visiting my parents) afterwards.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTrojanhorsewing at Havant, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 23, 2019
I picked up this book at the Bookcrossing meet up today.
I'm really looking forward to reading it but will need to read the Jane Austen version first!